Friday, September 9, 2011

Catholic History Links - We Love it!

The kids and I are LOVING Catholic History Links this year. We are more than halfway through Unit 1 - General Studies, which is an overview of the author's approach on how to study history. There are plenty of research and writing opportunities to challenge Sweetpea, and lots of hands on projects like this archeological dig for the boys. Later in the day we read about Pompeii, constructed a volcano in the front yard with sand, baking soda, vinegar, and red food coloring, and made jello layered with archeological finds. If I were to do the jello again, I would NOT put coins in. I did not realize what a stupid idea I had until I was frantically digging out the coin so Blondie here wouldn't accidentally eat it!
I do hope they keep publishing more units, but if not, I could always switch to Connecting with History or - truth be told - come up with the lesson plans myself, which wouldn't really be THAT terribly hard,. But it is so nice to have it all laid out for me and just open up the spiral bound book, set it on the table and start teaching. It's so Mom-friendly, and kid-friendly too! And not a textbook in sight!

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for this. I was searching for others' experiences of using History Links before buying it.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know you've stopped by and read the blog.
Me encantaria saber que estuviste leyendo el blog.