Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A little bit better today

After hitting "the wall" on Sunday, I am finally starting to feel a little better today. I went for a walk with a friend while the big kids were at their homeschool enrichment class. It was good for me to be out in the nice weather getting some fresh air and walking with her energetic dog.

I found the phrase for what I was feeling: compassion fatigue. I felt I could not give another ounce. It was all I could do to take care of the baby, and even then, I was just going through the motions. Grandma is now safe in a rehab facility getting physical therapy 4 times a week and is making some steady progress physically. It is much easier to go visit every day and not have to worry about her falling when unsupervised. It is strange to see someone who cannot remember that they cannot walk.

She is still in good spirits and seems to be settling in. She is over her jet lag and sleeping much better. Her new GP has reviewed her meds and is monitoring her closely. Now we can move on to handling her legal and financial matters. Bill is in charge of all of that, so I just need to support him while he does that.

The kids have calmed down quite a bit as well. No screen time and swift and consistent discipline is starting to restore order. Only Sweetpea is still being a bear, having tantrums over the stupidest things. The boys are fighting much less between themselves. Coach is here today and taking them out for the afternoon so I can have some quiet time at home with the baby. I should probably be paying our overdue bills, but instead I am going to rest while the baby sleeps.

The kids are really obsessed with raking leaves this week, so they've done a lot of leaf raking and a tiny bit of writing. We're okay with history and have started our Advent reading. Once I'm up to it, I need to start working science into the schedule. We're taking a break for a while from music lessons. We continue to do our composer study and artist study, so it's not all a disaster.

I am still tired and trying to take better care of my health. I am either eating nothing, or eating crap. I am overweight and out of shape again and that isn't helping matters any. I need prayers for strength to get through the next few months.

And now to rest...

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness for Coach! He seems like a very kind man. I am so glad that you are feeling a little better. That is wonderful that you are getting things lined up for grandma. It sounds like she is in a safe place.

    I have also noticed that turning off the electronic babysitter can have a huge impact on my boys. The first few hours are rough, but then they begin to settle down.

    Hoping you get some rest.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to know you've stopped by and read the blog.
Me encantaria saber que estuviste leyendo el blog.