Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beautiful Sunday & Plans for the Week

We had a beautiful Sunday today, boys busy with a Rugby match, Sweetpea and I at a Phi Mu Founders' Day Tea. We were there for over 5 hours, chatting and enjoying tea sandwiches and sweets. 

I had quite a bad relapse of my cough/fever/cold yesterday and wasn't able to bake anything for the party. But Sweetpea saved the day by baking a batch of brownies this morning for us to take to Bebe's house.

They were the best brownies I have ever had.

{Please stop reading if you gave up sweets for Lent}

For the rest of you, I offer this as a free Public Service Announcement because these are the best and easiest from-a-box brownies I have ever had and they can be made by a 9 year old girl. You should buy a box today. Go right now. Reading your other friends' Facebook status updates can wait. Seriously, go. 


She used Ghiradelli Dark Chocolate Brownie mix. She modified the recipe as follows (because she's independent that way)

  • used a 9 x 13 glass pan instead of 8x8 or 9x9 square so the brownies were a little thinner and more chewy - leaning towards crunchy. The corner and end pieces were orgasmic I forgot for a second this is a family-friendly blog
  • buttered the glass pan instead of using baking spray
  • used olive oil instead of vegetable oil
  • added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the batter because she said chocolate tastes better with walnuts, and saved 16 walnut halves to decorate the top
Other than that, she baked them at the recommended temperature, took them out at the minimum baking time, and allowed them to cool completely before cutting into squares. 

Next time I go to the store I am going to buy several boxes to keep on hand in the pantry because this is going to be my go-to brownie mix from now on. No brownie I have ever made has tasted this good. 

{You can start reading again}

It is incredible to me that I have a daughter old enough to enjoy these sorts of "girlie" things with now. Our relationship has improved so much since we started homeschooling her in kindergarden. I actually enjoy spending time with her now, instead of feeling like I am walking around on eggshells waiting for her to explode. She is calmer and nicer to be around, plain and simple.

How I'm Doing, Really
-I am already feeling inflammation and pain in my knees - could it be that my Remicade is wearing off?
-I need to talk to my doctor about switching antibiotics because after 10 days I do not feel better at all, maybe even more feverish than when I started with this sinus infection
-I should probably get a flu shot so I don't risk getting sick again, my immune system just can't handle another upper respiratory infection this season
-Bill is not traveling this week so I'll have his help in the evenings with bedtime routines
-I will have a nanny/housekeeper here each day to help me
(yes, I'm lucky we can afford help - though with my health status it is more of a necessity than a luxury.) Financially, it's a wash, since we aren't paying tuition for three kids in private Catholic school. 
Sadly, it's actually cheaper and I never feel guilty about needing a full-time nanny and not working outside the home.

Plans for the week
Monday
Meeting with architect and contractor to revise Cabana plans to deal with city bureacracy
Need to find and press Cantabile Choir uniform for concert
Sweetpea has first Girls on the Run meeting, monthly Little Flowers meeting, and softball practice all at the same time She decided that it was most important to make the first GOTR meeting so we said no to the other opportunities
Tuesday
Toto has Vision Therapy 
Math and Chess tutor here for all three children for 2 hours
Sweetpea - 90 minute softball practice late afternoon
Toto - first Little League scrimmage game of the season, at same time, I will do half & half 
Wednesday
Homeschool Playgroup at OLOP, no activity planned
Thursday
Science tutor to be rescheduled because we are going on a Field Trip to see the San Francisco Ballet. So excited! Baby M will stay home with our nanny while we meet up with homeschooling friends in the city
Sweetpea Cantabile Choir practice from 5 to 7 pm
Toto Choir practice from 5 to 6 pm
Me to chiropractor while they're at practice
Friday
Toto Vision Therapy
Grocery shopping - It's $ 5 Friday at our local Safeway
Saturday
Sweetpea has Cantabile Choir practice from early morning on with a performance in the afternoon at Palo Alto JCC
She will miss the last Basketball game of the season
Toto will go to the last Basketball game at Campbell Rec Dept

I have a list of things to do a mile long, and I have a few lockets to put together and mail, but I should be okay since my Crohn's isn't flaring right now and JIMINY CRICKETS 

Daylight Savings Time returns next weekend

Oh happy day!

I will feel a little bit better no matter what just because of the extra sunshine in the evenings. I can't stand eating dinner in the dark. 

I wish we could start Daylight Savings Time in February, it would probably eliminate the dreaded February drudge of every homeschooler. 

You can tell I'm giddy happy about this. I'll leave it at that. 

If it's snowing where you are, I am sorry. Sort of. 

I pay ridiculously high prices for real estate, gas, property tax, food, dry cleaning, child care and every other g.d. thing to live in California and I've decided the extra costs are just a Sunshine Surcharge and I'm willing to keep on paying it.

Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know you've stopped by and read the blog.
Me encantaria saber que estuviste leyendo el blog.