Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How's the Meal Planning Going? Home Ec Wednesdays

After 3 weeks of homeschool, we've gotten into a pretty decent rhythm overall. The meal planning has helped tremendously. I don't have a very strict menu plan, but it's enough of a plan that I'm not freaking out every day at 5 pm. I try to serve 1 or 2 in-season vegetables with each meal, or sometimes 1 veg and 1 fruit. I serve brown rice, potatoes, noodles, or good dinner bread as a side as well.

It's still evolving, but this is what I have so far.

Monday - Beef - Meatloaf or Milanesas or Empanadas or Hamburgers
Tuesday - Chicken - Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Marbella, Homemade Chicken Nuggets.
Wednesday - Beans and Rice (I set crock pot and rice cooker up before we leave for homeschool playgroup)
Thursday - Pasta - Some type of fresh or dry pasta, I alternate between Tomato Sauce or Pesto Sauce. (Pasta is the only thing I can handle this night since we have 2 back to back hours of choir practice from 4 to 6 pm) I always have an emergency frozen lasagna in the chest freezer now.
Friday - Fish - Two Standbys - White fish with butter and onion, or Salmon marinated in Soy Vey Teriyaki.
Saturday - Sometimes go out to eat, or Pizza night, homemade or at least baked at home
Sunday - special, more complicated recipe, usually done by Dad, usually Pork or Chicken. Roast pork tenderoin or bar b que pulled pork or roast chicken with lemon and thyme or some such basic thing. Something that can cook unattended for an hour or so while we are hanging out around the house after Mass. 

It has been calming to have a plan, sketchy as it is. Eventually, I'd like to have it written up and more seasonal, but for late summer/fall, this is working just fine.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know you've stopped by and read the blog.
Me encantaria saber que estuviste leyendo el blog.