Sunday, October 21, 2012

Moving Exhaustion

I haven't had a chance to post the party pictures yet. The whole week has passed by in a blur. The packing, the moving, Bill leaving for China, so much, so fast.

This weekend all I could do was just survive the normal routine of feeding and caring for 4 children, I barely got any additional moving related things done. I did manage to buy the washer/dryer, unpack 2 boxes, go grocery shopping, and did get Sweetpea over to the church for the Poetry recital this afternoon.

Her stage fright is so bad, that she would not get up their to recite a poem. But she was willing to get up on stage with a friend and lead the group in the National Anthem. Once she got up there she was smiling a lot and seemed to be enjoying. Afterwards she described the event as very exciting and exclaimed that she loved poetry. On the car ride home, she started reciting stanza of the poems she had heard the other children recite. And she says she has a bad memory!

After more discussion, I was able to help her see that she has an excellent memory, but it is her stage fright that causes her to forget once she is up on stage. They are two totally different things. I hope that next year she is willing to work on a poem for recitation. We'll see, we'll see. 

But at least for today, she enjoyed the presentations and got a break from her brothers and the mess at the house, and a short distraction from her cold.

I know moves are a common big-time stressor, and recently I read that it takes 16 months to adjust to a new home after a move. I am so impatient with myself and the children - I want us to be adjusted now. Ridiculous, I know. 

What are your best tips for adjusting to a new home quickly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know you've stopped by and read the blog.
Me encantaria saber que estuviste leyendo el blog.